The primary industry group, CMAA -- Crane Manufacturers Association of America, Inc. -- provides standards, specifications, market research initiatives, industry statistics, literature and publications.
- CMAA Specification #70: Top Running Bridge and Gantry Type Multiple Girder Electric Overhead Traveling Cranes
- CMAA Specification #74: Top Running and Under Running Single Girder Electric Traveling Cranes Utilizing Under Running Trolley Hoist
- CMAA Specification #78: Standards and Guidelines for Professionsl Services Performed On Overhead and Traveling Cranes and Associated Equipment
- CMAA Crane Operator's Manual
For more information, go to: www.mhi.org/cmaa
The Hoist Manufacturers Institute (HMI), which is part of MHI, provides a variety of Educational Materials, Marketing Information and Standards Development as they relate to hoisting equipment.
For more information, go to: www.mhi.org/hmi
The Monorail Manufacturer's Association (MMA) is another arm of MHI that offers guidance and oversight for Enclosed Track workstation cranes and monorails as well as Patented Track and Profile Girder monorail systems.
For more information, go to: www.mhi.org/mma
ASME & ANSI
ASME provides codes and standards, publications, conferences, continuing education and professional development.
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is a privately funded federation of business and industry, standards developers, trade associations, labor unions, professional societies, consumers, academia, and government agencies. ANSI does not itself write standards.
- ASME - ANSI B30.2: Overhead and Gantry Cranes (Top-Running Bridge, Single or Multiple Girder, Top- Running Hoist)
- ASME - ANSI B30.7: Base Mounted Drum Hoists
- ASME - ANSI B30.9: Slings
- ASME - ANSI B30.10: Hooks
- ASME - ANSI B30.11: Monorails and Underhung Cranes
- ASME - ANSI B30.16: Overhead Hoists (Underhung)
- ASME - ANSI B30.17: Overhead and Gantry Cranes (Top-Running Bridge, Single Girder, Underhung Hoist)
- ASME - ANSI B30.20: Below-the-Hook Lifting Devices
- ASME - ANSI B30.21: Manually Lever Operated Hoists
For more information, go to:www.ansi.org
- OSHA Standard Number 1910.179: Overhead and gantry cranes
The National Electrical and Medical Imagining Equipment Manufacturers Association (NEMA) promotes the competitiveness of the U.S. electrical product industry, and strives to be the trade association of choice through which the electrical industry develops and records positions on standards and government regulations.
- General information on NEMA Enclosures: NEMA Enclosure Types
For more information, go to: www.nema.org
MHI (Material Handling Institute)
- For listings of additional industry groups not mentioned, go to:www.mhi.org/industrygroups